Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Equinox Images


I had such grand plans for the autumnal equinox. I was going to photograph the midday sun at Stuyvesant Place, the Manhattan street which runs true east to west. I found some streets in Dumbo that almost line up east to west and I thought I could catch the sunset in alignment with the streets. Well, I am not a big fan of the midday sun, it is not the prettiest light. So I pinned my hopes on the sunset alignment. Unfortunately, clouds rolled in during the afternoon. Then just around 6pm, the sun broke through the clouds. I sped off to Dumbo. As I walked down the hill I saw beautiful glinting light on the most unattractive buildings. I hurried on, but the sun slipped behind a cloud again. It was so frustrating. So I went to the water's edge to capture the colors in the sky.


So there it is, the equinox puffy cloud over the Brooklyn Bridge


I also photographed the Eliasson waterfall underneath. The waterfalls had been a disappointment. So distant surrounded by protective fencing, they reminded me of all the barriers to the rivers of the city. I struggled to photograph them, they always looked boring. It was frustrating how such a cool idea could look so bland in reality. One night riding my bike over the Manhattan Bridge, the nearby waterfall was magical. Otherwise it was just the same-old same-old.

So I was surprised to find a view worth photographing at last, on the equinox.

No comments: