Tuesday, December 2, 2008

When the Subway Looks Like the Metro


The shuttle train from Prospect Park to Franklin Avenue travels above ground and I always think about Paris when I am riding it. To say that it looks like the Metro Aerien would be a huge exaggeration. And yet I could almost expect to burst out onto the bridge over the Seine with the Eiffel Tower in the background.

I thought the similarity might be from the iron fences and covered walkway of Prospect Place station. It reminds me of the fences under the Parisian metro and the roofs over the stations.

But then things take on a decidedly New York feel.

In fact, during the whole short ride, I swing between thinking it looks like Paris and realizing it is just Brooklyn.

Meanwhile the winter solstice light is back.





No comments: