Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pictures From a Dream


I had a dream about black and white photographs back in December. Usually when I dream of photographs they are impossible to recreate; fifty-story high drapes suspended over the Hudson River, or red balls cascading out of someone's apartment window. Those dreams are frustrating. This one was clear and precise. So while I was running around dealing with the holidays, I was also taking these pictures. I am not sure where all this is going to end up. Since many stickers and fliers on the street are advertising, I am finding all sorts of old things, like Jugmart. I googled the name and found out it is a store in the Harajuku quarter of Tokyo that sells skater clothes.

Their clothes were featured in this magazine called Ollie - Fashion Sound Skate BMX Art Crossover. The cover with its graphics and colors is exotic and familiar at the same time. Their website is really fun even (or especially) if you don't read Japanese.

This is just one of those random things. The rope is tethering something, there are lots of sexualized images of women slapped up around the city. I am not sure how much I want to pursue this sort of thing. It all gets very heavy with meaning.

I am more comfortable with the random forms and letters. I have more pictures to print and I am working on another roll of film. So maybe I will have a better idea of where this is taking me.

No comments: