Thursday, March 17, 2011

Signs of Spring


They were selling "shamrocks" at the farmer's market in honor of St. Patrick's day. I brought some home to the delight of the kitties. It is possible to see the tooth marks on some of the leaves. Now there is nothing left but stems and few clovers.
 

 Plants are sending out green shoots at the nearby community garden.



I can't wait to see everything blossom.
 

I am making a figure to represent winter which I plan to burn this weekend in celebration of the equinox.
 

There is a festival in Valencia, Spain called Las Fallas during which people display huge paper mache figures that are burned at the end of the festival. It is supposed to be in honor of St. Joseph, but its origins were pagan. The figures in the Spanish version are usually satirical, and very detailed. Mine is simpler, although I am planning on adding some hair and wintry draperies, but it won't be poking fun at anything. I used flour for the paper mache paste so it should smell really good while it is burning.

No comments: