Wednesday, May 4, 2011


I have been working on a small bit of street art that I want to do on Mother's Day. I have never liked the holiday until last year when I found out that it was originally a peace protest. Julia Ward Howe (she of the Battle Hymn of the Republic) was a suffragette and pacifist. She made the first Mother's Day Proclamation against the Civil War and the Crimean War. Since I found out about this, I realized that street art was the best way to celebrate the day. Above are my olive branches. There will be more but I do not want to spoil the surprise.


I got some grass seed leftover from a science experiment and tossed it around the garden. It sprouted valiantly through the rocks and debris.


The poppies have also sent up green shoots. Everything is very dainty, little bits of green surrounded by vast expanses of dirt and rubble.


I am really happy about the pea shoots.  I didn't think that they would come up at all and then for a week or so, they were tiny little nothings. But now they starting to grow. I would photograph the whole row, but they are still pretty small. In fact, at a loss at what to show in this week of preparation, I offer up...


cat tongues.


Voltaire in his cheescake pose


Coco in the herb jungle.

More art to come.

No comments: