Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Next Group of Plants


I am almost ready to send another group of plants out into the world. I was not thrilled about putting them in Williamsburg as the neighborhood is changing. There are fewer artists and more rich people and frankly, I don't want to give my plants to the luxury condo dwellers. Then I saw this artwork by a couple of artists in Toronto.


Caroline Macfarlane and Vanessa Nicholas have painted abandoned bicycles to brighten up the streets. It is called The Good Bike Project. My attention was drawn to the plant in the bicycle's basket. I figure that I can use New York's abandoned bicycles as plant stands. I do not plant to paint them though. I remembered a bike on 14th Street, so I went to have another look at it.


In fact there are four lost bicycles on one block of 14th.


This one is definitely a carcass...


However it really burns me up to see this totally serviceable Schwinn, with flowers decorating its basket now less, left to rust away. Even more frustrating is that the person locked the bike in a way that makes it difficult for others to use the bike rack.


With so many bikes to decorate, I started to worry that I did not have enough plants. So I decide to rescue the plants I had put out in Bushwick.


I am glad that I did. The plant near the graffiti wall was holding on by a tendril. It had been battered by the rough weather and its on spray of leaves was about to break away. I cut it from the dying plant and I am trying to get it to grow new roots.


The plant near the closed post office is very small, but it is healthy.


And the plant from the scary street is looking pretty good. The plant attached to the subway struts was gone, hopefully adopted. So I only ended up with two extra plants, but at least they are more likely to find homes when I put them back out.

No comments: