Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Solstice Light


The days have been stretching out longer and the light has been beautiful. I am always trying to do the summer solstice light justice with my pictures.

There was brilliant morning light when I came across this bundle of construction materials.


I couldn't figure out why this stuff was just plunked in the middle of Crosby street. It made pretty swirling shapes, though so I didn't dwell on it.


There was even a little grass in the netting.


When I stepped away, I realized it was some sort of protest piece, albeit a slightly frumpy one



The word 'peace' is written on the bottom left and there are peace signs painted on the blue netting. Maybe it was originally spread out like some kind of barricade only to be rolled up by an irate counterprotester.

I went back to Cortlandt Alley where it is always dark. The light was here if only by reflection and the chemicals used to remove the graffitti left black shadows of the former tags.


I love the small triangular vents, they look like models of houses glued to the wall.


My favorite time of solstice light is the evening when the sun graces my north facing windows. It is such a joy to see, but it doesn't last long. This time I was ready with a little of the moss I had gathered before. It has not died, but it hasn't prospered either. Nevertheless, little bits of the moss are hanging on intrepidly and they looked lovely in that brief moment of the north face sunset.



No comments: