Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Dog Days

I just like the shapes and colors in this tree pit

It is hardly news to anyone that the weather has been relentlessly hot. I have been taking shelter and working on the hanging sculpture.  It is not quite presentable yet, not even as a work in progress. 
On Sunday there was a cooling storm (with tornadoes in the Bronx!).  I went out in the aftermath to see how things were doing.


The honey locusts are blooming.  Their flowers are sweet smelling, contrary to most city trees.


Their perfume drifts down through the heat.


Their fallen petals cushion the sidewalk.  I had never really noticed them before this year, maybe the weather is making them particularly fragrant.


As one would expect, the weeds are thriving, sprouting up from any available crack in the sidewalk.


At first I thought these pink flowers were pretty weeds, but now I think they are a respectable plant that has been overrun.  There were also little blue flowers but the heat wilted them.


The weeds have taken over the back yard of an empty brownstone - one of my favorite things.


It's the urban jungle.


Last January, I came across this bush with very long thorns.  It is even wilder in its summer attire.




 It has lots of frothy leaves and fruit.




I am fascinated by the fruit, balancing on the edge of the thorns.

No comments: