Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Remains of the Storm


There is much better documentation of last Thursday's storm elsewhere; more dramatic photostornado footage evoking Cloverfield. I was in Manhattan during the storm, where it was not as severe. I did not plan on posting anything about it until I walked down the street on Friday evening and I almost started to cry. It is one thing to see a picture of a tree felled by a storm in Queens or even Park Slope.  It is another thing to see a familiar tree face the same fate.


These are trees that I pass three or four times a week.


Some have broken limbs. They still look healthy except for their broken branches.


This is one of the blossoming pear trees that has delicate white flowers in the spring. They bloom all over the city.


This is a honey locust like the ones I wrote about in August.


Its broken limbs were piled in the street.


I photographed this tree a few weeks ago because I thought it was a redwood like the ones I saw on the tree hunt. Later I decided it must be a Bald Cyprus. Regardless, it did poorly in the storm.


I worry about the damaged trees.  It is stressful enough for trees in New York. I hope they will survive.


I feel so sad for the trees that were lost.

No comments: