Wednesday, July 6, 2011

JR in New York


One of my favorite artists, JR has been in town putting up his work. He is a French photographer who has been traveling the world making huge wheat paste portraits.


The New York Times did a big article on him after he won the TED prize.  He sounded pretty humble in the Times article, just a simple graffiti artist doing his thing.


I get the feeling that he has deep affection for his subjects. So much art is kind of ironic, with Andy Warhol's ghost snickering in the background. When I saw JR's portraits from Tunisia right after their revolution, I was moved by how he captured the excitement of the Tunisians.


After I took a few pictures of his work, I found others, it was almost like a scavenger hunt. I wish I could make art with JR.


The Wooster Collective has some posts about his work here. 

No comments: