Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Looking for Moss, Finding Pear Blossoms


There is a beautiful tree that I can see from the J train, right before the Williamsburg Bridge. Its trunk is all mossy. I have been thinking of photographing it for a while, but it is not a convenient place. This week was supposed to be crazy and then the plans changed at the last minute and I had an afternoon free. Even better, a thunderstorm had just passed through and the light was dramatic. So I headed out.
 

The tree was not easy to find on the ground. I often have this problem with things I see from the subway. There are many entrance ramps between the Brooklyn/Queens Expressway and the bridge. The tree is in the middle of all that, at the edge of the bus depot. While I was finding this out, I came across some Callery Pears in bloom.
 

They are usually the first trees to bloom and they are incredibly hardy. They are all over the city. I usually miss the actual blossoms, so it was great to find them in this beautiful sunlight that spilled out from the clouds.
 

Unfortunately, the sunlight was not the best to show off the moss. I had really been hoping that the dark clouds would have lingered a bit longer to make the moss luminous, but they slipped away leaving bright flat light.


Can't have everything.

No comments: